Friday, April 6, 2012

Home made Mod Podge

 

Searching for small home project ideas, I very often stumble upon decoupage project. I like them a lot. But then, reading more and more about them, I noticed that for many of them I would need a Mod Podge. Since I cannot find it in my country, I started to search for alternatives.  Most probably there is something similar to Mod Podge even in my place, but I prefer to try with one of the recipes for a home made glue, that should do the job.

So, this is what I found:

Alternative 1

Mix 1 cup of white glue with 1/3 cup water. Add 2 tablespoons of varnish for gloss finish. Keep in a container with a tightly sealed screw on lid. Use for decoupage projects.

Alternative 1

You will need:

1/4 c. sugar

1/4 c. non-self rising flour

1 c. water

1/4 tablespoon oil

On a medium heat, in a medium size pan mix together 1/4 c. sugar, 1/4 c. non-self rising flour, gradually adding water, stirring vigorously to break up lumps.
Boil until clear and smooth, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat.
Add remaining water and oil.  Stir until thoroughly mixed.  Put into container with screw on lid.

Alternative 3

Mod Podge in a Pint Jar (matte)

Source

 

Fill jar half way up with white glue (like Elmers)

Then fill jar up with water.

Shake Well.

This is a 50-50 mixture glue/water.

It will have a Matte finish.

If you would like a Glossy finish, add 1 TBS of clear varnish.

Shake it!

Mod Podge2

 

 

 

Blogger Labels: Mod Podge,Home,ideas,Alternative,mixture,recipes,decoupage

2 comments:

  1. This is really good to know, thank you! I really love the tip to add varnish to give it a gloss, I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kalina, I also have to try, hope it'll work.

      Delete